Friday 1 March 2013

T-shirts: Finished Pictures

The process for creating these transfers was relatively simple. I scanned in the original screen prints, cropped and re-sized them slightly then printed them out onto transfer paper. Another hitch I hit with the 'Firefly' inspired one was that we used our last sheet of dark transfer paper and messed up with the printout, having reversed it without actually needing to.

Once they were dry, I laid them down, face up on their respective tops, put the provided paper (which is really just baking paper) over the top and iron them to fix them onto the shirts.



The first one I did was the plain Emilie Autumn one. I hadn't done this in a while and I kind of screwed up a bit on the bottom, but I actually don't mind. I think it adds to it. In fact I want to weather this one, soften it up and make it look really worn and scraggy. The vest that I used was actually ribbed, something I hadn't considered when buying it, there was a temporary worry that the transfer wouldn't take to it very well and it would just split down the lines, but it didn't and looks great over the ribbing.



This was the second one I did. The screen print I used was one that I had taken and embellished with ribbons, lace, buttons, beads and a safety pin or two. I actually mounted the original screen print on a piece of fabric so that it would hold up better which is what the stitches you can see up top are there for.
I'm not sure I like this one as much as the first, I think it would look a whole lot better if I'd used a plain print then sewn ribbons and nicknacks to the actual top, just to give it another dimension. It looks very flat to me. Whilst I'd wear the first one out, I'm not so sure I would wear this one...

The third and last one I did was the 'Firefly' inspired one. I really like it as a poster, and I think it would work better on a t-shirt if browns blended together better and if it wasn't done with transfer paper and rather printed or screen printed on. 



It turned out quite faded, which would be a good look if it was kind of patch and looked accidental, as if it had happened over time but it's kind of all over and meh. I guess it must be because it's a dark transfer on a dark shirt? I'm still happy with it though, don't get me wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment